Wednesday, July 22, 2020

A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor Review (Or Something)

To be honest, when I first heard that Hank Green had published a fiction book, I was skeptical. He’s a YouTuber and podcaster, and he does a lot of great stuff, but I was concerned he’d just gotten a book deal because he had an audience, and it was a safe bet that people would buy the book. Which I did.
But it actually turned out to be quite good. I read the first book, An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, last year. I just recently reread it, and then went straight into the new book, A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor, which came out this month.

Warning: minor spoilers will follow.

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing: A Novel (The Carls): Green, Hank ...     A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor: A Novel (The Carls): Green, Hank ...

A brief, spoiler-lite plot summary of the first book:

Twenty-three-year-old April May is walking in New York in the middle of the night, and she sees this huge Transformer-like sculpture. She gets her friend to come see it, they make a YouTube video, and it goes viral. The statues appeared out of nowhere in cities all over the world, and nobody knows what they are or where it comes from. Is it aliens? It might be aliens.

Because they were some of the first to post a video, and because April is a cute American girl, and because of luck, their video is the one that really gets famous as the first discovery of the statue that April calls “Carl.” She gets swept up in a maelstrom of fame and politics in the quickly polarizing debate about whether Carls are a benevolent force that will bring humanity together (her take) or whether they came to Earth to destroy us and should be feared (the take of her enemy, Peter Petrawicki).

This isn’t a review so much as me thinking about questions and themes that stuck out to me. Starting with…

How did our country get to be so divided?

When I first read An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, I found it to be a great framework for me to think about the 2016 election a few years after the fact. For instance:

[B]y engaging with him, I was affirming him and his wackos. Their ideas were getting more exposure through my larger audience, and I… was confirming the idea that there were two sides you could be on.
-An Absolutely Remarkable Thing

It wasn’t until after Mr. Orange actually won the 2016 election that I realized how all of our criticism and ridicule actually gave him attention, which turned into votes.

Also, this particular quote draws attention to the way that these binary spectrums on political issues are constructed. We didn’t have to live in a world where wearing a mask during a global pandemic is controversial. It could just be something people do, like putting on a seatbelt in the car. But we love to be angry, or at least websites want us to love to be angry, anything to keep us clicking through their content. So the stories about people who want the “freedom” to not wear a mask get amplified, and this becomes an increasingly polarized issue. (Not that the president helped with that. But the reactions of people who are pro-mask-wearing probably could have been improved.)

How should we respond to extremist violence?

I won’t go into details, because it really is worth reading for yourself, but there are moments in these books that address fear-driven mass violence.

That was always the way of these strongmen. They would craft the fear so carefully and then toss it into the world for everyone to use. And when someone took that fear and destroyed with it, they were just ‘unstable’ or ‘mentally ill.’
-A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor

Back to talking about the American president again. He does not have to say “I support neo-Nazis” to support neo-Nazis and strengthen their base. He can hint, and that is enough. And when something like the shooting in Charleston shooting happens, he is responsible, if indirectly. And when he says there are “very fine people on both sides” and acts of hate continue to happen in our country, he is not innocent.

It’s so tempting, even now, to try to blame all of the politicians and pundits who were rising in power by feeding on other people’s fear and confusion.
We can blame those people, but the only thing a mass murder ‘means’ is that we’ve made it too easy to kill.
-A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor

The amount of shootings in this country is due to the amount of guns. I am reminded of this tweet from 2015:


Sure, we can hold people accountable for their actions. Certainly it's important to call a hate crime what it is. But ultimately, we are all responsible for mass shootings because we haven’t done enough to limit the number of guns. It’s a systemic problem. We should have fixed it by now, but we haven’t.

How can I stop feeling like I need to be constantly productive?

I wouldn’t say this is one of the central themes of the book, but it really resonated with me. I often feel guilty for doing things that are relaxing instead of “productive,” whatever that means. I’ve gotten a lot better at letting myself relax since college, when I was constantly studying. But there’s still that voice in my head telling me I need to produce. It’s not always a bad thing. That voice is what got me to write tonight, and writing feels good. But rereading old favorite books also feels good, and I shouldn’t feel guilty for doing it.

Anyway, there were a couple of moments that I found helpful at the end of the second book.

You will always struggle with not feeling productive until you accept that your own joy can be something you produce. It is not the only thing you will make, nor should it be, but it is something valuable and beautiful.
-A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor

I actually watched John Green’s video about this quote before I reached it in the book, but I think it would have stuck out to me as regardless. My problem, ultimately, is that I am not good at treating my own happiness as something worthwhile. That problem makes a lot of sense for the world we live in. Capitalism doesn’t want me to be happy, because if I’m happy I’m not going to be so inclined to buy things. Capitalism does want me to be working all the time. Quotes like these are great for combating the ever-present whisper of Mr. Monopoly/Uncle Sam.

Do people actually believe _____?

“You really do believe that power must always go to the people who deserve it, don’t you? … If you didn’t believe it, you’d have to spend some fraction of your time not feeling like Jesus, and that wouldn’t be any fun.

“But then someone else gets the power, and you lose some of yours, and you don’t like that power has gone somewhere else. But you also can’t stop believing that power organizes itself correctly because your entire understanding of the world is based on that single idea. So, instead, you convinced yourself that they’re cheating or corrupt or lying.”
-A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor

This quote is not written about a certain person currently occupying the oval office, but it could be. It helps me understand a bit more about how Orange and his followers think. I often wonder if they genuinely believe the lies they tell. I don’t know the answer to that question, and it probably varies from person to person, but this is part of an explanation.

And it is terrifying that he is so intent on believing what he wants to believe. How do you argue with people who will just believe whatever suits them best?

What is reality?

Sometime in elementary school, I read a book called Philosophy Rocks. It was a philosophy book for kids, and it discussed what I later learned was Descartes’ idea about dreams. How do we know what’s real? Could I be dreaming right now? That book led to what I think of as my first existential crisis. I was standing in the living room, and it suddenly occurred to me that I had no way of really knowing if anyone else is real. After all, I interact with people in my dreams, and believe that they’re real while I’m dreaming. Or maybe it’s some elaborate simulation. How can I ever know? What if I am completely alone in the universe? I was ten or eleven at the time.

I won’t get into the context of how this question comes up in Hank Green’s books because it’s fairly spoiler-heavy, and it’s worth reading them without knowing exactly where they’re going.  But here are a few quotes:

…the fact that everyone experienced it in precisely the same way made it feel concrete. What is reality except for the things that people universally experience the same way?
-An Absolutely Remarkable Thing

Every night, you brush your teeth, you change out of your clothes, you lie down in bed. And every morning, you wake up. There’s that period in there, generally six to nine hours, in which you just aren’t anymore…. how does it not terrify us that we spend a third of every day in a conscious unconsciousness, living inside a virtual reality created by our own minds but that somehow we don’t control? Like… what?!
-A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor

I think about this a lot. Dreams are bizarre, and sleeping is bizarre. The only reason I’m not constantly existentializing about this is that it happens every night, so I’m used to the idea.

And finally

Here’s one last quote that I feel really gets to the heart of the book.

               The most impactful thing you can do with power is almost always to give it away.
               -A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor

Thank you for reading! Let me know if you read this book—I’d love to talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favorite Albums of 2020: A Very Belated List

Sometime in January, I threw together a list of my favorite albums from 2020. Ever since, I've been meaning to post it here... and now i...